- Jungle Habitat, located in West Milford, New Jersey, was a Warner Brothers-owned theme park that opened in the summer of 1972, and closed in October 1976. By November 1972, the park had 500,000 paid visitors. The park contained well over 1,500 animals, a drive-through section and a walk-through section. Read More fun stuff on Wikipedia. Many years later, under the guidance of JORBA rep Mergs, this one time animal paradise is rapidly evolving as a bikers paradise. Home to the Town Cycle H2H race Rumble in the Jungle, the trail network grows almost monthly in the summer months. Someday, the powers that be may be able to link up this park with Ringwood State Park to form a super loop.
West Milford Family Pump Track
The West Milford Family Pump Track is located just around the corner from Jungle West Milford Family Pump Track at JORBA.org
41.130044, -74.340983 Airport Road Lot Directions
- There is only one place to park, on Airport Road under the telephone polls (via Google Maps).
Details and Info
- Miles: 9-10, plus paved paths
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Trails: Singletrack, Pavement
- Surface: Dirt (hardpack)
- Obstacles: Trail Obstacles, Rock Garden
- Special Features:
- Detailed Overview: Advanced intermediate park. Lots of mountain biker-specific trail work done here, logs and rocks abound. Some trails wind very tightly through trees.
- Park Website: Tom Hennigan maintains the most up to date information about Jungle. He's a local and a trailbuilder at the park. His website is packed full of great information and he is also the map creator
Trail Name Blaze Difficulty Description Babs ? Advanced Incredible Singletrack on a bunch of exposed rock. Boon ? Advanced Technical Singletrack with flow. There are a few options on this trail that can make it very advanced, if you choose to ride over some of the huge boulders, instead of around them. Boulderdash Light Blue Advanced Connector trail to get you down to Dump Truck Hill Dump Truck Green Intermediate Lollipop trail that is now difficult to find due to the pipeline work. Look for the cairn to mark where to cross the pipeline cut. Fish Orange Intermediate Singletrack on some exposed boulders. Look for the giant boulder that you can climb under, find the coffee can, and sign your name in the geocache book. Hippo Yellow Intermediate Singletrack Junk Yard Dog Dark Blue Intermediate Singletrack Lower Chute Red Intermediate The lower lower chute sections can be very wet depending on the season, it also gets pretty advanced at the very bottom. Otter Slide Red Intermediate Another right of passage to complete this climb from the bottom, though it's been easier as of late. Rhino Orange/White Advanced Awesome Jungle singletrack, land rights have a portion of this closed to bikers. There are 2 optional very large rock rollers on this trail that are quite smooth with great runout. Great rollers to learn on. Tanks Orange Intermediate Ride through the old tanks. There is an optional line to ride across one of the tanks, if you dare. Tiger Pen Orange Intermediate Clank Clank as you run over the old conduit. Look for the old tiger pens. Warthog White Intermediate The main loop around the parking lots. Flows great in both directions.
Discussion, Events, and JORBA
- JORBA Info: Jungle Habitat rumblings at JORBA.org
- JORBA Contact: Mergs (retired) [Jungle at JORBA.org Dave Van Wart]
Bike Shop and Good Eats
- Town Cycle
- 1468 Union Valley Road
- West Milford, NJ 07480
- The bagel shop in West Milford (name unknown currently)
- Dunkin Doughnuts in West Milford (across from bagel place)
South Shore Grill
- 1555 Greenwood Lake Tpke.
- Hewitt, NJ 07421-3035
- Decent food if limited menu. Sierra Nevada IPA on tap.
Make right at the end of Airport Road and then another right onto Greenwood Lake Turnpike. Restaurant is 1/2 mile down on right. VB