Stephens State Park
From mtbNJ.com Wiki
- Stephens State Park runs along the southern side of the Musconetcong River and falls under the JORBA umbrella of BobW. This is an emerging jewel of the area and is quickly becoming a destination in it's own with almost 20 miles of trails (if not more). Many of the trails are recovered ATV trails though some trails have been built from scratch by the ever-persistent Stratocaster. With a single road crossing you can jump into Deer Park which turns this into a big, multi-hour ride.
40.907661, -74.77039 Kinny Road/Iron Gate Directions
40.873005, -74.805165 Park Office/Main Area Directions
40.8889, -74.764268 Station Road Directions
Details and Info
- Miles: 16 for the main outer loop with at oleast another 5-10 crossing the interior and north & east sides.
- Difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate
- Trails: Singletrack, Doubletrack, Fire Road
- Surface: Dirt
- Obstacles: Trail Obstacles, Rock Garden
- Special Features:
- Detailed Overview: Good solid mix of different things, not too much of anything to classify as rocky, rooty, or hilly. There is not enough tech to thrill the Mooch North junkie, but your average speed won't be like [Lewis Morris] either.
- Park Website: New Jersey DEP Parks & Forestry
Trail Name Blaze Distance Description White Loop White 8.6 Miles This trail can be accessed either from the Park Office via the Orange Trail or from Station Rd. via the Green Trail. The White Loop is a thorough loop consisting of Singletrack and Doubletrack with some climbing and rock gardens. Yellow Trail Yellow 0.5 Miles Singletrack]] and Doubletrack and provides access to the Red Loop and the Red/White Trail. Red Loop Red 0.9 Miles Singletrack]] and Doubletrack and provides access to the OrangeTrail and the Red/White Trail. Lower Traverse Blue 0.9 Miles This trail provides an alternate to the White Loop. Consists of Singletrack. Fire Tower Loop Purple 0.5 Miles This trail connects from the Green Trail and is all Doubletrack and Fire Road leading up to the Fire Tower. Green Trail Green 1.9 Miles Accessed via Station Road parking area, this loops offers a mix of Singletrack and Doubletrack . Orange Trail Orange 1.2 Miles Singletrack]] and Doubletrack and provides access to the White Trail. Maze Loop Pink 2.8 Miles This trail can be accessed either from the White Trail (on the west side) or Waterloo Rd./near the railroad tracks. The Maze Loop is a thorough loop consisting of Singletrack and is bisected by an unnamed trail. Red/White Trail Red/White 0.9 Miles Accessed via the Red Loop or the White Loop, this trail offers a mix of Singletrack and Doubletrack.
Discussion, Events, and JORBA
- Forum: MTBNJ discussion on Stephens
- JORBA Contact: Steve Filipponi
Bike Shop(s) and Good Eats
- Marty’s - Hacketstown
- 156 Main St.
- Hackettstown, NJ 07840
- Marty’s Bike is located at the intersection/light for 517 and 46.
- Chilis Panera Wendy's
- International Drive South
- Flanders, NJ 07836
- Located on Route 46 and near Route 80
- Panther Pub
- RTE 517 PANTHER VALLEY MALL
- Allamuchy, NJ 07820
- The pub is located on the left at Panther Valley off Route 517 (in with 7-Eleven).
- Stephens State Park Terrible video by Gtluke featuring UtahJoe and EricO before any of us were on Team MTBNJ