- Wildcat Ridge is a WMA (Wildlife Management Area) managed by the NJ DEP Department of Fish & Wildlife located adjacent to Splitrock Reservoir in Rockaway Township. The area is still scattered with artifacts from it's rich history such as the old Hibernia Iron Furnace, Bat Cave (Hibernia Mine) and the Hawk Watch.
- Additional Information Link
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="40.949825" lon="-74.467907" type="terrain" zoom="13"> http://mtbnj.com/gps/wildcat.kml
40.944689, -74.492966 Green Pond Road Lot Directions
40.962629, -74.457614 Split Rock Road Lot Portions of Split Rock Road are unimproved and can get very bumpy. Directions
- The above track is Jason's version of JORBA Norm's 11/08/2009 loop.
- Click the desired marker on the map above for directions (via Google Maps).
Details and Info
- Miles: 40 if you count every fire road, nook and cranny of Wildcat & Splitrock, maybe more
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Trails: Singletrack, Doubletrack, Fire Road
- Surface: Dirt (Hardpack, Loose Hardpack), Mixed
- Obstacles: Water Crossing, Trail Obstacles, Rock Garden
- Special Features: Bridges
- Detailed Overview:
- Park Website: New Jersey DEP Parks & Forestry
- Rules and Regulations: Mountain biking is allowed on existing trails and secondary roads on wildlife management areas from March 1 to April 15 and June 1 to September 15, as well as on Sundays throughout the year. Bikes are permitted on major designated trails year round except for the Highlands Trail which passes through Berkshire Valley and Wildcat Ridge WMAs. Riding over any dam, wildlife food area, cultivated fields, lawns, gardens and fire break plow-lines is prohibited. Bikers are also prohibited from establishing any new trails through the destruction of existing vegetation.
Trail Name Blaze Distance Description Beach Glen Trail 1.9 miles Meriden Trail .6 miles Hibernia Brook Trail ? miles
Discussion, Events, and JORBA
- JORBA Info: Wildcat Ridge rumblings at JORBA.org
- JORBA Contact: trailhead